Medjool dates with their crinkly top, sweet second layer was known as the fruit of the royals. But, it's easily accessible to us commoners now. The chewy texture, the naturally maple sort of taste and it's size makes for a easy pick me up snack.
Dates are consumed on it's own for it's nutritional value and distinctive taste. But, the middle easterners have gotten quite creative with these pick me up beauties. Taking a note from their page, the MEDJOOL dates get makeovers every chance a cook gets.
"Good food is all about simplicity: David Rocco"
Sometimes I find that the simplest of food with few additions can change how one thinks about an ingredient, check out my Dates Panncotta. I love pistachios and hazelnuts, put them together and it's magic. The richness of the hazelnuts combined with an earthy sweetness of pistachios , stuffed in the sweet date just elevates it to the next level. And if that wasn't decadent enough, I dipped it in chocolate and sprinkled lightly with coconut. All of these different textures and flavors really makes you sing when you take a bite at them.
Stuffed Medjool Dates
Ingredients: Pitted medjool dates- 15
Pistachios -1/4 cup
Hazelnuts -1/4 cup
cardamom powder - 1/4 tsp
sugar - 1 tsp
Dark chocolate -Melted 4 tbsp
Shredded coconut - 1 tbsp
1. See to it that there are no pits in the dates, if it is pitted then will already be a slit vertically.
2. Grind shelled pistachios and hazelnuts to a coarse powder with sugar and cardamom. DO NOT MAKE IT too powdery.
3. Now, stuff each date with about 1 tsp of the nut powder and stuff it well, if you have remaining stuffing, you can use on any dessert.
4. Melt a little dark chocolate in the microwave at 10 second intervals till smooth.
5. Dip each of those dates in chocolate and keep it on a piece of wax paper. Sprinkle a little coconut for another level of flavor.
You can store in the refrigerator for couple of weeks in a air tight container, if they last that long....